History of Broulee Surfers S.L.S.C.

(Part Two) (click on images for larger versions)


The 1982 / 83 season saw a rapid change in the club house. Amended plans were submitted to the Shire Council and approved and the also received a $10,000 Special Unemployment Grant from the State Government for labour. Three people were given jobs and the building moved at a much faster pace. By the end of the season the upstairs area was mostly completed.


Broulee Surfers S.L.S.C. members with their first training manekin.

School surfing was introduced as a sport at Moruya High and the Club was host to some forty students during the year.

Broulee Surfers were hosts for the second I.R.B. Branch Championships with six crews entered. Broulee were also the winners of the Far South Coast Branch.

The Broulee Open Surfout was held in January and another $2,000 worth of prizes were donated. Broulee competed in four other contests during the year.

This season, 1983 / 84, was the club’s fifth and it was a year of pressure.

Seven Committee Members resigned and although some vacancies were filled there was extra work load on the rest of the Committee.

The inside of the Clubhouse was completed so as to make it useable, and the Club finally had the money to order the cladding for the outside of the building.

Broulee Surfers was awarded the winners of the Branch Patrol Efficiency Competition and the Club also conducted and won the Branch I.R.B. Championships.

There were no major rescues during the season.

Finally, during the 1984 / 85 season, the outside cladding of local spotted gum covered the external walls. This was done in September.

Broulee Surfers won the Branch I.R.B. Championships yet again. This was a great feat for a small club.

At the end of the season, the Club acquired its first surf boat.


The wooden boat, found beside a boat shed at Batemans Bay, was sixteen years old and originally belonged to North Cronulla. This boat was repaired for the 1985 / 86 season.

IRB Crew

The 1986/87 I.R.B. Crew: Greg Pay, Graham Smith, Mark Tesseyman, Robert Suter (back), 'Slug' Haantjens and Maurice McMahon.

The 1985 / 86 season was a big one for Broulee Surfers. The number of Committee persons was increased to twenty one, including assistant secretary, assistant instructor, vice-captain and house captain. The Club was getting bigger.

This was also Broulee’s first Surf Life Saving competitive year, including their first surf carnival. This year the Club took part in all events at the Branch Carnivals and won the IMB Handicap Branch Competition Point Score.

A boat crew, representing the Club for the first time, took part in the Mazda Surfboat Marathon and their first George Bass. In the old boat, which became waterlogged along the way, they finished.

They were to come last but they finished, an achievement in itself.

The I.R.B. Crew also did well, they made it through to the final of the NSW I.R.B. Championship, the only club in the Branch to do so.

Broulee Surfers attended the Australian Titles for the first time in the 1986 / 87 season.

The Junior Boat Crew, headed by Lional Franks, competed in Perth, and reached the quarter finals.

Second IRB

In January, 1989, we finally had a second I.R.B. This rubber duck was acquired with a $ for $ grant and the generosity of the Carter family of Carter's Store, Broulee. It was launched at the Broulee Surf Carnival.

It was the Club’s second year at Branch Competition level. They won the IMB Handicap Point Score Championships, second in the Branch I.R.B. Championships,  third in the Branch Open Boat and second in the Branch Junior Boat.

Both Junior and Senior crews competed in the State titles, the Juniors getting through to the semi-finals.

This season saw the building of a boat shed with storage area and club members worked hard on the inside and outside of the Clubhouse.

One hundred and fourteen people were rescued on the beach, no lives were lost.